Examen is a spiritual tool for taking stock of our days. According to one author, it is a way of “rummaging for God” bringing to mind “going through a drawer full of stuff, feeling around, looking for something that you are sure must be in there somewhere”. It is a pathway to living a more purposeful life. Examen is the simple practice for the end of each day where I am the child reviewing the day with my loving Father.
STEPS OF EXAMEN:
(These steps may vary slightly and modifications can be made for specific circumstances, but the principles are the same)
1. Ask God to help you see the day with His eyes.
2. Give thanks for the day just passed and God’s love for you. Count your blessings.
3. Review your day praying that God would show you how He is acting in your life. Recall specific moments and your feelings.
4. Reflect on what you did, said or thought during the day. Ask yourself “How did I fail to love God and others well”? Bring it all before God.
5. Look forward to tomorrow. Ask where I need God in the day to come, and how I can cooperate with Him more fully.
For more information on this practice go to, https://www.ignatianspirituality.com/ignatian-prayer/the-examen
There is an app for that: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/reimagining-the-examen/id1065042173?mt=8